Adding a blog section to your company website is a great way to provide information and advice to your existing customers and show new customers your expertise. It’s also usually very simple to add a blog section to your site through the use of a plugin.
Blogs are also a powerful tool in marketing because they provide your site with more opportunities to be picked up by search engines, which means that you will be seen by a whole new group of potential customers.
There is a tricky line to tread with healthcare blogs, however. You need to be informative but you certainly don’t want to crossover into giving medical advice as for medical advice to be accurate you would need to speak with the patient.
What Can You Write About?
When you are deciding what to write about, your existing customers are a great source of information. Keep a log of the sorts of questions that customers are often asking your team over the course of a few weeks and then review it. You will probably find that the same questions come up again and again. These questions are great topics for blog posts, as they are topics that your customers have already shown that they want to know about!
As a healthcare professional you are in a great position to write informative and useful blog posts, because your career is knowing a lot of things that other people don’t and would like to.
Be sure to keep your posts general rather than talking about specific personal cases, and heavily signpost any areas where an individualized diagnosis would be beneficial so as not to appear as though you are providing any kind of diagnosis or advice.
Generally some good formats for blog posts are:
- How to guide.
- ‘Listicles’ for example, if you were a dentist you might write about the top 10 things you can do to keep your teeth healthy.
- ‘What to expect’ type articles. For example, if your practice carries out surgeries you could write a blog on what the patient can expect to experience before and after.
If you want your blog to help you to attract new customers then SEO, or Search Engine Optimization, is paramount.
SEO means the work that you do to ensure that your site ranks highly in search engine results and is therefore seen by more people. To apply an effective SEO strategy you will need an in-depth knowledge of search engine algorithms such as those used by Google, as well as a specific knowledge of your industry. Many businesses have benefited from using a healthcare SEO agency to help them to rank more highly in search engine results.
Broadly, some of the things an SEO agency might do are:
- Keyword research. Ensuring that your articles use the keywords and phrases that your customers are actually searching for.
- Backlinking. Building your websites trustworthiness by getting it mentioned on other reputable websites.
- Domain authority. Building your authority by ensuring that your content is specific to your target market. This helps Google to know exactly what your website is, and therefore which search queries it will be relevant for.