A city break requires a smart approach when it comes to filling your suitcase up. There’s nothing worse than checking in to your hotel room, opening your bag, and realising you’ve forgotten to pack your favourite pair of jeans, or you didn’t think about picking up a portable power bank.
Your destination of choice will have the most bearing on what essentials you’ll need. From an educational trip around a historic city to a weekend of retail therapy in the top shopping cities in the UK, Trilogy Stores have put together this guide to get you ready no matter what break you’re taking!
A romantic weekend
Spending some well-deserved quality time with that special someone in a new city? This type of getaway is perfect for recharging your batteries, as well as getting some all-important together time with your significant other.
Most likely, a date night spent enjoying the local cuisine will be on your itinerary. So, the high priorities for packing are:
- Your favourite going-out outfit, whether it’s a glitzy dress or a sleek pair of high waisted jeans and a nice top
- Make-up (if you wear it!)
- Face: Moisturiser, primer, foundation, concealer, translucent powder, highlighter, contour, bronzer, blush.
- Eyes: Eyeshadow primer, eyeshadow palette, mascara, eyelash curlers, fake lashes.
- Brows: Tweezers, eyebrow pencil, eyebrow brush, eyebrow pomade.
- Lips: Sugar-scrub, lip pencil, lip balm, lipstick or gloss.
- Misc: Perfume, mirror, setting spray, make-up wipes, brushes.
Adventure time in a new city
Whether you’re a solo traveller looking to broaden your horizons, or you are visiting famous landmarks with friends, a city break will be the highlight of your calendar. But getting lost in a new city is a little too much excitement.
Your key packing items for this adventure are:
- Comfy walking shoes
- A coat or hoodie in case it gets chilly!
- An umbrella
- Power bank for your phone (so you always have your phone GPS with you)
- Emergency money
- Especially if you’re travelling to a city on your own, you should have some emergency funds tucked away from your wallet or purse. There’s a number of ways you can do this: you can invest in a money belt or security belt that has a hidden compartment or use a scarf with a secret pocket. A cheap crafty way is to take an old lipstick or lip balm tube, empty it and wash it, then roll up a note or two in there and pop it in your pocket!
Got plans for the evening? Just add some of the items from our romantic weekend checklist in, and you’re good to go!
Relax and rejuvenate at the spa
The wellness trend isn’t going to disappear any time soon, so it could be time to embrace it! And let’s face it, any trend that encourages us to slow down, take a breath and just relax is a trend we can get behind!
Familiarise yourself with key spa etiquette so you can pack accordingly and feel as relaxed as possible:
- Your comfiest clothes — comfort over style here
- Two swimming costumes; one to keep dry for treatments, and one for swimming in
- Flip-flops, for hygiene reasons
- A bathrobe (the spa might provide one, but if you have your own favourite, take it!)
- Towels (better to be safe than sorry)
- Hair ties and/or clips
- A good book — definitely time for a digital detox here
Letting your inner superfan out at a gig or convention
From books and movies to hot new bands, a convention or gig is a great opportunity to enjoy the things that interest you, or perhaps to let your hair down to some of your favourite songs. Make sure you pack the right way to get the most out of these events! Other than your tickets, ID, and spending money, be sure to take:
- Comfy shoes, as you’ll be on your feet a lot
- An outfit that tells the world what you’re a fan of! Whether it’s your favourite band shirt for a gig, or a geeky reference on a hoodie, this is the place to show it off
- Deodorant, and a mini-deodorant for when you’re actually at the venue. These places can heat up fast with the amount of people packed in to the hall, so you’ll need a top-up
- A portable charger for all those photos and videos!
So, you can avoid those typical packing mishaps on your next city break! Follow our checklist next time to ensure you have the vital components to a great weekend away.